Monday, June 06, 2005

Koreans Love Golf...and other revelations

Yesterday (that's Monday here, but Sunday night in the USA), there was a going away lunch for one of 'the guys'. We ate at this place right by the golf course on base. Apparently the Koreans LOVE golf. They say there is a looong waiting list to play at the course because all of the Koreans living on base are out there 24/7. I must have passed a dozen courses and golf supply shops just between the airport and here. One of the guys at lunch said that the Wal-Mart in Seoul has three different departments with all golf supplies inside. Funny what various cultures latch on to as obsessions. The Germans have David Hasselhoff and the Koreans have golf!
Anyway, I ate bibimbap at the lunch. Glad that's out of the way. blech. Of course, the place didn't appear to be the best, but I was underwhelmed by the taste, to say the least.
After the lunch, it was back to the room to watch tv (all 10 channels that they have here!). Really, I feel like I've learned a lot about the AF, and especially this base. There is an Osan channel, which has tons of info. I'm more informed than my sweetie is now!
Ok, on to today... I was freakishly awake at about 4:30 a.m. His squadron PT'd today (every Tuesday), so I joined them in the gym for the 6 o'clock workout. They all seemed wiped out and tired, but I was good to go and curiously craving some Taco Bell. If only I could conjure up some of this jet-lag during the school year, I'd start every school day feeling GREAT. The down side will come today about 3, but I'm determined not to nap so that I can get on 'Korean time'.
On a more serious note: the Osan channel has warned of Anti-American demonstrations, which surprised me. I was under the impression that the South Koreans thought of Americans as their big brother, their protector from North Korea and even the Japanese, which are no friend of SK. Let me excerpt something I ran across today:
"Some Koreans object to the U.S. military presence because they feel American bases get a great deal on Korean land and the Korean government pays astronomical levels for troops here. Aspects of this might be true, but the U.S. has greatly helped develop Korea’s economy to internationally astronomical levels. Yes, the Korean government spends a significant amount on defense, but if the Koreans could not have relied on the Americans here then more military spending would have been necessary. If so, either Korea would not have had the required funds to develop their economic standing rapidly, or each Korean would have had a lot less disposable income as they would have had to pay more taxes. Granted, Koreans can be considered diligent workers and can be proud of helping their society’s advancement, but large degrees of the level of development in Korea and the level of affluence among Koreans is indirectly a result of America’s presence." You can read the entire article here, if you're so inclined.

No comments: